Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sandy Hook 2011


My saltwater fishing season started in Little Neck Bay., NY.  Sandy Hook, NJ was next.

I fished in Sandy Hook point two previous Saturdays.

I saw about 10 fly fishermen on the first Saturday.  It was unusual to see that many.
They didn't catch any fish, nor did I, except
one fly fisherman.
He caught one small striper and one large keeper.
He said to me, "30-foot deep here! Sink it!  Sink it!  Sink it!"
The way he fished was like nymph fishing.
After casting, he walked along the beach following his line drifted by the tidal current with his rod tip high up to sink the fly deep down.

To prepare the following Saturday's fishing, I made flies using lead wire to make them sink quickly.
I know Clouser minnow is a good deep sinker,
but it is not durable.  I don't prefer it anymore.
 













                             Last Saturday, high tide came at 11:30 am.

                             I caught several fishes from early afternoon to evening.
                             I think the heavy weighted flies helped a lot.
                             I tried that guy's method, but I had no success with his way.    

                             In this afternoon, sea birds were very busy too.





No comments: