Monday, November 23, 2009

Night Fishing in Jamaica Bay



















I fished in the bay side of Rockaway last Sunday night.
Before going to the bay side, I checked out the ocean side. The wave on the ocean side was a little too high for night fishing.

I got to the bay side parking lot around 9 o'clock. It was empty.

The east wind blew steadily. When I faced the bay, the wind came from my right hand side.

I waded about 20- foot from the shoreline and casted in the direction between parallel to the shoreline and less than 45 degrees of the shoreline. It was easier to cast this way because I got the tail wind position and the fish was coming close to the shore at night.

I used a 25-foot short shooting head line which was easy to handle in the dark. I pulled out 15- yard of the running line which was also easy to handle and a good enough length to reach the fish at night.

I casted and felt quite a bit of shock. The rod tip nodded and this indicated the line stretching out very well by the tail wind. Because I could not see the line in the dark, these feeling and guessing were the alternatives of the sight.

The crescent moon was shining west of the sky. While fishing, I was always facing the moon.
When the moon was almost down to the horizon, I left the water.

I caught a school size bass with a saddle feather eel fly.

(Night eel flies)










No comments: