Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Line Twist

 

                                                                  


  I am bothered by the twisted line in the salt water casting which tangles the line all the time.  I always think the roll cast is the cause of line twist.  Many times the roll cast is performed to straighten the line, to change the line direction or to pull the sinking line up, etc. 
  
 However recently I realized the roll cast is not the cause. It is the line's coil memory causing the twist.  As the coiled line goes through the rod guides at high speed during shooting, the line gets twisted.
  
  There are two kinds of twist.  The first kind is the one that one end of the line is fixed but the other end is loose (Diagram B). The other kind is the one that I experience during casting when both ends are fixed (Diagram A) and the twist occurs between two fixed ends.  So this kind of line twist will be eliminated if the line tip reaches the full length of the line and the line straightens out in the air.
  
  In my case I should not pull out the line more than my expected shooting length; and I must be aware of the shock on my hand caused by the line's inertia when its tip reaches its full length.   

1 comment:

SteveP said...

Nigory,
I find that the roll cast IS the cause of alot of the twist
with shooting heads partly because the head and
running line are different sizes so the running line
twists instead of resisting twist.
Best way to avoid is like you say - make sure most of
your casts pull tight to reel, don't have more line off
the reel than you can cast.
If you do get twist, you can casting the line, pull off
some more, grab rod behind reel near butt with
one hand, and farther up the rod with the other hand
and rotate the rod on its axis about 30 times or so.
If you are right handed, do this on your right side,
and rotate so the reel goes away from you on top
of the rotation.

Nice reports and blog, especially like the flies,
Thanks,
Steve Piper