Sunday, October 4, 2009

New Line and Stripping Basket


I had received a new shooting head line for my 12-13 weight two-handed rod.
It is a type 2 line and designed specifically for this rod. So both the rod and line match well.
I can throw a fly over 50 yards.
The description of this line in the catalog says it can be thrown over 70 yards.
Provably it means for expert fly casters.
I wish I could throw a fly that far when my casting gets better.



























I used my new stripping basket, which I modified from a dishpan, this weekend first time.
Surprisingly it works very well.
A well designed stripping basket can make such a big difference.
I've used a LL Bean one since the beginning and line tangling occurs often.
Now with this new stripping basket I can say that the problem of tangling shooting line has nearly gone. Bingo!!

2 comments:

nigory said...

Hello Mr. J.

Let me answer your question here.
Many times catching fish depends on luck. I can tell you the place I like to go.

Drive along Rockaway Point Blvd all the way to the the end (a dead end) and park there. Take the short trail to the beach on the bay side.
Once you are on the beach, you can walk along the beach about one mile to the jetty at the point. Along the way you can fish any spot you like. You can always find the place quiet too.

Good luck.

nigory said...

Mr J

Clouser Minnow is the kind of all-round fly to use, especially chartreuse color.

The best time to fish is generally the two hours on either side of high tide, so I think the evening of 26th will be the best time to fish in the bay.

Good Luck.