Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rockaway Point

Last Saturday I went to Rockaway Point first time this season.

Rockaway is a narrow peninsular in Queens. One side faces Jamaica Bay and the other side faces the Atlantic Ocean. I can go from one side to the other easily. It all depends on the fishing conditions, especially the wind direction.


Rockaway Point is one of the best fishing spots around the city.







Last Saturday was a nice sunny day with light wind. But the ocean wave was stronger than expected. The big wave kept beating up the tip of the jetty where I wanted to fish.

For safety I had to leave that spot and fished on the jetty closer to the beach.



























I caught a small fluke and a sea robin with a Clouser minnow.
It shows small weighted flies are effective to catch these bottom feeding fish.

Even no striper or blue was caught, these two fishes gave me some fun.





I was looking for a suitable fly box for my new squid flies. My wife suggested an empty plastic jar. I doubted it at first, but it turned out to be a very good container for keeping bulky and fluffy shaped flies.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful container you got!