Monday, April 20, 2009

Little Neck Bay






  I have fished for the last 4 days in a row from Thursday to Sunday in Little Neck Bay.  My friend told me striper action has started in the bay.

  I have never fished in this bay before.  It is quite close to my house, only 20 minutes by car.  It's unlike going to Breezy Point where I always fish and practice,  I have to pay tolls and the fishing permit!  
 
  The bay is pretty calm and not many boat activities which can create bothering wave to shore fishermen.  This lovely bay is like a small lake.  I even forget I am fishing in the salt water.

  Unfortunately I didn't catch any fish in these 4 days. I didn't notice anyone catch any fish for the first 3 days.  But I saw some people around me catch fish on Sunday. I didn't even get any bite of my fly.  So I think the problem was on my part. It might be the sinking head, which was easier to cast in the wind and I retrieved the line very fast otherwise the fly would sink to the bottom quickly.    I  thought striper preys swim away fast when they see their predators.  So it was OK to retrieve the line fast.

When it was almost time to leave on Sunday, I watched the lure fishermen.   They were reeling up their bunker imitations very slowly.  Maybe that is the way to fish here.  I will try the same way next time retrieving slowly the floating or intermediate line. 
  
 
  I always  learn something from lure fishermen because wherever or whenever I fish, I seldom see fly fishermen in the salt water.  

 

 Excuse me for mumbling again:  Flyfishing is the process, not just for the result.

No comments: